Head to Shawnee State Park & Lodge for an early May weekend getaway while foliage is still minimal to view the first wave of neotropical migrants such as Cerulean, Worm-eating, Hooded, and Kentucky warblers (to name a few). Friday kicks off with registration from 4 p.m. until 7 p.m, then dinner (on your own; the lodge has a bar and restaurant onsite). Naturalist Jenny Richards will share why Southeastern Ohio is a biodiversity hotspot. Afterward, carpool to locate night birds, including American Woodcock, Whip-poor-will, and Chuck-will’s-widow, or visit the mothing station at the cabins.
Saturday begins with a hot breakfast buffet ($15/person) before half-day guided field trips* from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m., with optional $12 lunches served in the field. Reconvene at the lodge for a buffet dinner (included with registration). Guest speaker, ornithologist Jack Stenger, will speak on the topic, “Shawnee’s Warblers: Natural History for an Un-Natural Future.” We’ll also hold a raffle and go over the day’s bird sightings. Once again, carpool to find night birds, or vist the mothing station.
We will wrap up on Sunday, starting with a hot buffet breakfast at 6 a.m. ($15/person), followed by half-day guided field trips* or exploring on your own. We will offer sign-ups for these field trips during registration and Saturday dinner.
Click here for Field Trip details
*Note that only registered attendees may participate in field trips.
Calling Young Birders!
OOS encourages young birders to attend Warblers & Wildflowers 2020.
- All young birders (age 18 and under) will receive free registration and meals.
- Young birders under 18 must attend with a registered parent and be accompanied by parents on field trips.
About Our Guest Speakers:
Accommodations & Rates:
Shawnee Lodge & Conference Center
Single or Double Occupancy Rooms – $109/night – Two-bedroom Cabins – $144/night
(Rates effective through 3/20/20)
Contact the lodge directly to reserve your room:
(740) 858-6621 http://shawneeparklodge.com/ Code: OOS
Every room rented helps OOS keep conference fees down and gives more $$$ to conservation!
- OOS members: $95 per person ($115 after April 10), includes field trips, speakers, and Saturday evening buffet dinner
- Non-members: $130 ($150 after April 10) per person, includes all of the above plus a 1-year membership in OOS
- $12 Saturday box lunch
- $15 each, Saturday and Sunday morning hot breakfast buffet